2 May 2013

J.R. Ward's Lover Unbound (The Black Dagger Brotherhood Book 5) Review


As part of my challenge to read or J.R.Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series I've made it to book 5 Lover Unbound!



What they say: In Caldwell, New York, war rages between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Now the cold heart of a cunning predator will be warmed against its will...

 

Ruthless and brilliant, Vishous, son of the Bloodletter, possesses a destructive curse and a frightening ability to see the future. As a pretrans growing up in his father's war camp he was tormented and abused. As a member of the Brotherhood, he has no interest in love or emotion, only the battle with the Lessening Society. But when a mortal injury puts him in the care of human surgeon, Dr. Jane Whitcomb compels him to reveal his inner pain and taste true pleasure for the first time-until a destiny he didn't choose takes him into a future that cannot include her...


What I say: Continuing my challenge to read the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series, I've reached book 5. And, oh man this instalment was one hell of a rollercoaster, but I loved it!

As a huge Vishous fan, Lover Unbound is the story I've been waiting for and I was so NOT disappointed. Straight after revealing V's complicated feelings for Butch in Lover Revealed, J.R. Ward treats her readers to a whole chunk of V. The insights into V's past really explained a lot, and at points I was horrified by what he'd been through. No wonder V's been so closed off (until Butch and then the lovely Jane) he's not had anybody to love, hence he uses BDSM to cope. Domineering sex allows V to remain aloof and in control.

On to Jane, I loved her! She was awesome and her inner dialogue was hilarious at times. "She was seriously staring. Which was what you did when you got a gander at a man who was hung like a Louisville Slugger." Jane is a human surgeon with mad skills. I had expected to find her annoying, but she really wasn't. Her analytical curiosity about vampires reminded me of Bones (from the TV show). Jane's scientist mind overrode her fear of the unknown and I loved how she instantly stood up to the brothers and started bossing them around.

In between finishing the last book (Butch's story) and starting Lover Unbound I found myself wondering if V's attachment to Butch would ever be fully tackled and if his complicated sexuality would be openly addressed. TBH what I wanted was for one of the characters to outright ask him if he's gay or if he was simply confused by his new close friendship with Butch. Not that it matters either way, I was simply curious. In this I was definitely not disappointed.

Now on to the other characters. Phury and John had a lot of page space in this book, as did the annoying Scribe Virgin. Phury is still trapped by his impossible love for Bella and has some crappy choices to make. John is trying to come to turns with the loss of Torh and Wellsie, whilst facing his impending transition and past abuse. I like how Zsadist took on a kind of buddy/mentor role with John. I really cannot wait until the brotherhood finally realise who John is!

I loved this book, it may be my fav in the series so far. V predates Christian Grey as the original Dom (he has a penthouse, rather than a red room of pain), although with V, the BDSM is really alluded to and is used for very different reasons. J.R. Ward doesn't feel the need to go into excessive details on BDSM, which is why I think the story works.

5 Shiny Stars in my Sky!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • When it came to someone else macking on their females, bonded males liked closure. Of the coffin-lid variety.
  • That word came back to him: Mine. Except which one was he thinking of? Butch or her?
  • Stop it. Do not feel safe with him. The Stockholm syndrome is not your friend.
  • The last thing he needed was a postgame wrap-up with the likes of Momzilla.
  • "I've got a couple centuries of celibacy to make up for. What better way to take the edge off?"
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig