12 May 2013

Lover Avenged by J. R. Ward (The Black Dagger Brotherhood Book 7) Review


As part of my challenge to read or J.R.Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series I've made it to book 7 Lover Avenged!
 
What they say: J.R.Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood novels have introduced readers to a "different, creative, dark, violent, and flat-out amazing" (All About Romance) world. Now, as the vampire warriors defend their race against their slayers, one male's loyalty to the Brotherhood will be tested-and his dangerous mixed blood revealed...

Caldwell, New York, has long been the battleground for the vampires and their enemies, the Lessening Society. It's also where Rehvenge has staked out his turf as a drug lord and owner of a notorious night club that caters to the rich and heavily armed. His shadowy reputation is exactly why he's approached to kill Wrath, the Blind King and leader of the Brotherhood.

Rehvenge has always kept his distance from the Brotherhood-even though his sister is married to a member, for he harbors a deadly secret that could make him a huge liability in their war against the lessers. As plots within and outside of the Brotherhood threaten to reveal the truth about Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world, Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him-and the only thing standing between him and eternal destruction.

What I say: I know I've said this for at least two previous BDB books, but this may well be my fav in the series so far! It was awesome to get inside Rehvenge aka The Reverend's head and learn more about Bella's mysterious brother.
 
Rehv is not a Brother, but has appeared in most of the series in varying roles, including as Bella's brother, Phury's dealer, the owner of ZeroSum, Marissa's temporary feeder and all round hard-ass! When he was first introduced as Bella's controlling and overprotective older brother, I found him annoying and unfair. However with every appearance Rehv has become more interesting and I was so pleased he finally got his own book.
 
In Lover Avenged we see how much Rehv has struggled and the lengths he is prepared to go to protect his family and friends. You actually understand why he is so overprotective of Bella. His entire life has been a necessary lie and he is really lonely.
 
I was expecting Ehlena to be a bit of a bore and a pushover, thankfully she wasn't. Ehlena is used to caring for everybody else and is also lonely. Her situation with the Glymera reminded me of Bella's. I really enjoyed Rehv's outrageous flirting with her at the clinic. It was less about vampires and more about a guy checking out a pretty nurse.
 
Rehv's relationship with the Symphath Princess is revealed and it was even more disturbing than I had imagined. I can totally understand Ehlena's reaction as I would have had trouble getting my head round the exact nature of their messed up relationship myself, but Rehv is the victim and I felt really sorry for him.
 
Wrath takes over a large portion of Lover Avenged, which was good because his story was told in book 1 and I felt we needed to hear more from him again - he is the King after all. I liked how Ward wasn't scared of showing how it isn't always a straightforward HEA - her characters have to work hard to stay together and trust each other. Beth and Wrath are still a fab couple but it was interesting to see their relationship further down the line. Wrath's life is going to be very different now and it was nice to see more of his vulnerable side.
 
John Matthew and Xhex also have key parts in the book. I enjoyed seeing the darker side of John and his self destructive path made an interesting read, it was really sad when he effectively turned his emotions off to avoid suffering. It was also great to finally see Torh being more, well Torh! As for Lash, well he's massively involved in the ending which is a huge cliffhanger and spoiler. I will say that Lash has now fully embraced his role as the Omega's son and heir!
 
Rehv has quickly become one of my fav guys in the series because he's so complicated and dark, yet underneath he's vulnerable and lonely - also it doesn't hurt that he's extremely hot!
 
Check out this fab fan pic I found on deviantART by PeridotLeo812 of Rehv. I love his purple eyes!



5 Stars in my Sky!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • "If he's a gentleman, I'm Estee fucking Lauder."
  • "You're out alone?" he growled. "Yes, and you can cut the he-man crap. I've got a gun under the seat and I know how to use it." A subtle laugh came through the phone. "Okay, that's a turn-on."
  • "You're looking at that chick like you want to roll her up in a taco and put your hot sauce all over her."
  • "We start hearing chick-a-wow-wow shit," V cut in, "can I start calling you Z-packed?" "Not if you want to keep breathing."
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig