9 June 2013

Blast from the past review: The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window by Kirsty Moseley

 
Blast from the past review...
 
What they say: Amber Walker and her older brother, Jake, have an abusive father. One night her brother's best friend, Liam, sees her crying and climbs through her bedroom window to comfort her. That one action sparks a love/hate relationship that spans over the next eight years.

Liam is now a confident, flirty player who has never had a girlfriend before. Amber is still emotionally scarred from the abuse she suffered at the hands of her father. Together they make an unlikely pair.

Their relationship has always been a rocky one, but what happens when Amber starts to view her brother's best friend a little differently? And how will her brother, who has always been a little overprotective, react when he finds out that the pair are growing closer? Find out in The Boy Who Sneaks In My Bedroom Window.
 
What I say: I read The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window a while ago and decided it was about time I got round to posting a review.
 
I delayed my review for so long because I really didn't know what to say about the book. It's one of those stories which has me really conflicted, because on one hand it was a sweet YA romance with some cute scenes, but on the other hand it covers some pretty troubling topics and skirts around certain issues.
 
I've noticed huge inconsistencies between other reviews for the book (either really good or really bad) and I think people must have had similar problems as me. The writing and plot structure are fairly unbelievable in parts (the ending is the ultimate HEA) and the issues covered are not always dealt with in the most sensitive of ways. Moseley has a writing style which you'll either really like or you'll hate. Some of the dialogue did seem forced and silly. I liked the use of nicknames, but I can see why others would find them annoying.
 
The main character Amber is a survivor of sexual abuse and attempted rape. She can't stand to be touched except for by her mother, brother Jake, and next door neighbour Liam. I personally think it's the speed of her change which people have a problem with, she gets a boyfriend and has sex with him really quickly.
 
Some of the plot points such as the bet the high school girls have to split former 'man-whore' Liam up from his secret girlfriend (yeah guess who that is) by tempting him into bed, did make me question if teenage girls would really do this. BUT these scenes were funny to read and I liked when Amber came out of her shell and got her inner vamp on.
 
The scenes with Liam were actually really sweet (even though he's pretty much your average horny teenage guy). Some of the conversations between the two were uber cheesy, but I felt that these scenes were there to counteract the highly stressful and emotional abuse issues. Amber's brother (and Liam's best friend) Jake was really protective of her and I liked their relationship.
 
I did find some parts including the ending and the final confrontation with Jake and Amber's father as rather convenient, but I did like the ending. The romance/sexy scenes were more NA in places and innocent in others. The Boy Who Sneaks in My Bedroom Window is sweet, sentimental and fluffy in places whilst being horrific and dark in others.
 
Because I liked the fluff and found Liam hot: 3.5 Stars in my Sky!
 
My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • "Liam, if you wanted to make me hot, all you need to do is take your clothes off."
  • "By, 'prep work', you don't mean you're going to flirt and make me horny as hell again like yesterday, do you?"
  • "If I'm not dead, then why is there an Angel in our house?"
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig