22 June 2013

Review: Seduced in the Dark by CJ Roberts


Blast from the Past review...!

What they say:



The exciting, titillating, and action-filled sequel to Captive in the Dark.

What is the price of redemption? Rescued from sexual slavery by a mysterious Pakistani officer, Caleb carries the weight of a debt that must be paid in blood.

The road has been long and fraught with uncertainty, but for Caleb and Livvie, it’s all coming to an end.

Can he surrender the woman he loves for the sake of vengeance? Or will he make the ultimate sacrifice?
 
 
 
What I say: Wow! What can I say about Seduced in the Dark? Well, it's as shocking, if not more so than book #1 and again features some scenes which are both horrifying yet captivating to read.
 
In Captive in the Dark, Livvie (Kitten) is abducted by the darkly, hot and dominating Caleb. As part of Caleb and Rafiq's goal for vengeance Livvie is to be trained as a pleasure (sex) slave. Seduced in the Dark is told from Livvie and Caleb's POV, with Livvie often acting as narrator (via flashbacks).
 
This story is disturbing, yet I really enjoyed it. I didn't buy into Caleb as the dark hero as others have done because although I can see his merits I still really struggled to see past his sadistic and cruel actions. This instalment shows some huge changes in Caleb and he does start to feel guilty, but he continuously carries out, or forces Livvie into some horrible acts.
 
I think it is important to consider Livvie's emotional state, and how, even she questions her reality and feelings. She never wavers though and it's always good to see somebody stand firm in their convictions.
 
As Caleb battles with what he should do and what he wants to do, the reader learns more about his absolutely horrible childhood. These insights into his past explain a lot, but I think our past can only be used to excuse so much. Most of Caleb's cruelty to his Kitten is done to maintain distance between them. Caleb knows that he needs to let Livvie go and sees that sometimes the only way she'll listen is through punishment. The scene where he forces her to watch him in certain acts was awful and I was so annoyed as I read it. On the other hand I was almost gleeful at his jealousy in the 'dessert' scene, which was no less than he deserved.
 
It does become easier to understand Caleb's reasoning in this book as apposed to the first one, but I wanted him to get a handle on his rapid mood swings (from caring and sweet to sadist and evil, then back again). Sometimes this book was so sad and I found myself feeling sorry for Caleb and his suffering, but then in others I hated him - in a similar vein to Livvie.
 
As with Captive in the Dark be warned there is a lot of intensely disturbing scenes and if you really don't like dominance and control then this book is not for you! But if you fancy reading something different then give it a try. By the end Caleb can see his wrongs and seeks redemption, but I'll leave you to decide whether you think he's worthy of it. Another mindfrack of a read, which delivers quite the punch, but will stay with you for a long time!

4 Stars in my Sky!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • He had told her he wasn't Prince Charming, but what he hadn't said was he wished he could be.
  • He recalled the press of her lips against his scars. She kisses my scars and I create new ones for her.
  • For the love of Christ, shut - up! Let a bitch enjoy her mental breakdown in peace.
  • "I'm not stupid, Reed. I know the shit he did to me was awful - I fucking lived it. But I'm telling you, monsters aren't born - they're made. And someone made Caleb."
  • He swatted my behind playfully. "Careful, Kitten - if you put your ass in my face again, you're going to learn what a pervert I really am."

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig