24 July 2013

Review: April Showers by Karli Perrin

 
What they say: What happens when your head and your heart pull you in completely opposite directions? April Adams is about to find out the hard way.

When April enrols at Manchester University, it feels like a whole new life. New city, new house, new friends...new crush.

Isaac Sharpe is the hottest guy on campus - with an even hotter reputation. After a chance meeting, April quickly finds herself wrapped up in all that he is. But what if all that he is isn't what it seems?

Caught up in a battle between what she wants and what she thinks she needs, April meets Lukas Roberts. Lukas is the security blanket that she craves so desperately and she finds solace in their friendship. But what happens when she finds more than she bargained for?

April has always been a big believer of fate, but will she learn that she's in control of her own destiny before it's too late? Join April as she embarks on a life changing journey of love and loss, which will have you laughing and crying until the very end.
 
What I say: I think it's pretty clear how much I like myself some New Adult fun, and that I'm always on the lookout for a new NA author or book. Well thanks to the joys of Twitter and fellow bloggers (Yes, Zoe I mean you) I stumbled across April Showers by British author Karli Perrin.

Set in North West England, April Showers follows April Adams as she starts her new life at Manchester Uni. My first day at Uni involved a lot of awkward getting to know you moments, where as April's included meeting two uber hot guys! Guy #1 is Isaac Sharpe, otherwise know as the hottie she shouldn't want but so does! I'm not gonna lie the name Isaac makes me think of Hanson and then I get Mmmbop stuck in my head! Anyway... Guy #2 is fellow student and Scottish lovely, Lukas Roberts. Lucky girl!!

It's difficult to tell you too much without spoiling the plot, so I'll be brief. Both Isaac and Lukas become integral parts of the story, bringing April both passion, love, fun, friendship, tears and of course drama! I think I liked the story so much because it reminded me of my student days where everything seems so important and every decision has vast consequences.

Often when you get a love triangle it's instantly clear who is going to end up with the girl or who is the better choice - well I know who I would have chosen, but I have to say Isaac and Lukas both had their merits and I can see what she sees in both of them. They both have their fair share of secrets and manage to cause a lot of unnecessary heartache. BUT it wouldn't be NA without it, right?!

I was not expecting the route Perrin took with Lukas and I wanted to hit something when I reached the end - Shocked does not begin to cover it! As for Isaac? Well I had the lyrics "sweet dream or a beautiful nightmare" stuck in my head for ages because of him. Poor guy!

I'm always slightly concerned when reading an author's debut release because often you end up with one of two options: either the book is terrible (which is thankfully NOT the case with April Showers), or  the book is so memorable that the follow up or next release can never live up to the hype - Well as for the second option I'll wait and see, but I have high hopes for the follow up to April Showers. Plus after the HUGE cliffhanger I cannot wait to see what happens next!

Anyway... if NA with it's angst, drama, sex, and in this case love triangles, is your thing then April Showers should be right up your street!
 
4 Well deserved Stars in my Sky!
 
My fav non spoilery quotes:
  • "I'm a stalker, remember? You said it yourself. We know these things."
  • I did what any person would do when they were trying to impress a sex god... I squealed like a big girl.
  • "I'm done. No more Isaac, you're not allowed to mention his name anymore." "What about the t-shirts I've ordered?"
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig