30 July 2013

Review: Breathe (Sea Breeze #1) Abbi Glines

 
What they say: Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island.

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.

Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationships never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.
 
What I say: I have been meaning to start the Sea Breeze series for a while now, but hadn't previously found the time. I read the updated and extended version of Breathe, which is apparently fairly different from the original and is told in dual POV by Sadie and Jax (and is sexier). This is the version I'll be referring to in my review!
 
Sadie White is a caring, beautiful and undervalued 17-year-old, with an irresponsible mother and a hard home life. The summer before her senior year of high school she takes over her pregnant mother's maid job. Sadie ends up working for teen rockstar and heartthrob Jax Stone. Jax spends every summer in Sea Breeze hiding from obsessed fans and overzealous press, whilst trying to be a normal teen.
 
I think you can imagine where the story goes, but it did take some unexpected, interesting and downright annoying turns. Certain parts of the story reminded me of Unmaking Hunter Kennedy (although there are many differences).
 
Sadie was a contradiction of sorts; both strong when needed to be, but also vulnerable and naïve. When it came to her mother Jessica, I found Sadie too forgiving and (for want of a better word) too nice! Yes, I felt sorry for Jessica after what happened with Sam, but that doesn't in any way make up for the previous 17 years.
 
I liked Jax but wanted to smack him when he started channelling Edward Cullen a la New Moon. I also found myself getting cross at their insta-love. Plus their conversations seemed unnatural at times and too soppy for real life teens. However, there were some really sweet moments and I really wanted them to get their HEA.
 
Marcus was my favourite character and I'm definitely going to read the next book in the series Because of Low in the hope that he will get his HEA. But in Breathe he was a wonderful friend to Sadie and helped her when Jax couldn't or didn't. Other than the odd moment, he wasn't overly pushy with Sadie and just wanted her to be happy.
 
In general I enjoyed Breathe, but it wasn't as good as other Abbi Glines books and I found the language slightly lacking at times. It was a sweet story, and if I were a teenager again, then I'm sure I would have found Jax's singing swoon worthy.
 
3 Stars in my Sky!
 
My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • "You're everything I write about in my songs but can never have."
  • Oh, God. I liked dirty talk. I didn't know it until this moment, but I did. I liked it a lot.
  • "He seems like a man who knows what he wants, and the problem is, he wants what I want. If it were anything or anyone else, I could stand back and let him take it."
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig