26 July 2013

Review: FRIGID by J. Lynn

 
I took part in both the cover and trailer reveals for Frigid and so I was extremely excited to get my hands on a copy of J. Lynn/Jennifer L. Armentrout's lastest New Adult creation!
 
What they say: For twenty-one-year-old Sydney, being in love with Kyler isn't anything new. They'd been best friends ever since he pushed her down on the playground and she made him eat a mud pie. Somewhere over the years, she fell for him and fell hard. The big problem with that? Kyler puts the 'man' in man-whore. He's never stayed with a girl longer than a few nights, and with it being their last year in college, Syd doesn't want to risk their friendship by declaring her love.

Kyler has always put Syd on a pedestal that was too high for him to reach. To him, she's perfect and she's everything. But the feelings he has for her, he's always hidden away or focused on any other female. After all, Kyler will always be the poor boy from the wrong side of tracks, and Syd will always be the one girl he can never have.

But when they're stranded together at a posh ski resort due to a massive Nor'easter, there's nothing stopping their red-hot feelings for each other from coming to the surface. Can their friendship survive the attraction? Better yet, can they survive at all? Because as the snow falls, someone is stalking them, and this ski trip may be a life-changer in more ways than one.
 
What I say: I'm a sucker for a best friend love story and Frigid fully lived up to my expectation. There's something really interesting about friends who are secretly in love with each other. I think it's because it always leads to a whole heap of angst and holds the potential for huge embarrassment and sexy times!

Frigid is told in dual POV shared between Syd (Sydney) and Kyler (although a lot more is told from Syd's perspective). Uni students Syd and Kyler have been best friends since they were kids and are pretty much inseparable.

Syd is shy, petite and reserved, where as Kyler is outgoing, confident and er very successful with the ladies *ahem* man-whore! What I found really sweet, funny and at times extremely maddening, was how oblivious Syd and Kyler were to each others feelings. Their feelings for each other, were to be honest, glaringly obvious.

Syd's cruel ex called her frigid, leaving her broken and feeling unworthy. She doesn't think uber hot Kyler would ever see her as more than a friend. Kyler on the other hand, can have any and every girl except Syd (or so he thinks). He's put Syd on an unreachable pedestal, sleeping around because he doesn't feel worthy of her. Yes I know, I wanted to smack the pair of them at times!

Syd and Kyler end up stranded at Kyler's Mum's Ski Cabin in a massive snowstorm, hence the double meaning of the title. They end up in several compromising situations and are finally forced to deal with their feelings. There were of course a lot of avoidable misunderstandings, but due to their history and Kyler's er 'free' ways, I can understand why Syd reacts how she does.

When Jennifer gets her J. Lynn head on you can expect some naughty fun and smexyness! There are some HOT scenes and so Frigid is definitely New Adult or Adult and not for younger readers.

I loved Syd, she was absolutely hilarious and really unfortunate! I spent half of the book almost snorting with laughter (yep a sexy image I know) and the rest torn between wanting to cry when they couldn't seem to get their act together and wanting to smack Kyler for constantly resisting the obvious. Kyler's POV chapters were a great edition, and the scene where he couldn't remember Mindy/Cindy/whatsername's name was a hoot! I loved how protective he was of Syd, and the tattoo scene = Wow!

Anyway I think you can guess how much I really enjoyed Frigid, but then again I am a huge fan of Jennifer's books and I love her writing style. If you like your contemporary romances with a side order of angst, humour and sexy times then you'll love Frigid. Also as a big fan of snowboarding and winter sports, I could totally picture the cabin and  being stranded in the snow.
 
4.5 Stars in my Sky!
 
My fav non-spoilery quotes:
  • For the first time in  my life I was literally stuck between two boys. Huh. And here I thought it would be more fun.
  • The whole thing was about ten levels of awkward and a basement full of please-kill-me-now.
  • "What else do I deserve?" One side of his lips  tipped up. "Everything, baby, you deserve everything."
  • Sometimes I had no idea how I ended up in situations like this. Okay. That was a bald-faced lie. What was between my legs was how I ended up in situations like this.
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. This is a must read for all book lovers who LOVE romance, chick-lit, light fluffy, and hookups between bestfriends.

    Luzia
    Accident Attorneys

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig