4 October 2013

Red Threads by Stacey J. Mitchell Guest Post



Title: Red Threads
Author: Stacey J. Mitchell
Release date: 2013
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Tour: Irresistible Reads Book Tours
 
 

Book Description:

Twenty-six-year-old Lily Robinson has her dream job in a museum, a great boyfriend, and is happy with her life – until the day she starts seeing red threads growing out of the chests of those around her.
That same day Lily meets a stranger who seems to know her and understand what she is seeing. Lily doesn't believe him when he says she has a special ability, and it's only when he saves her life that she accepts something very strange is happening to her.

Lily's life is rapidly turned upside-down when she gets thrown into the world of fate and meets the beings who influence it.

Can she learn to control her ability to help herself and those around her who need it most?

Will she actually want to when she finds out what she has to do?



 
Guest Post

 Authors I Admire by Stacey J. Mitchell
 
I've always loved books, for as long as I can remember. My mother says that when I was a toddler I would sit and “read” books, turning the pages like I was reading the words. When I learnt to read, I would sit for hours with my books, perfectly happy. My brother always needed to be entertained by someone, but as long as I had a pile of books, I was just fine.
 
I'm not much different now, and I believe that my love of writing comes from this love of reading. I've never understood writers who say they don't have time to read. To me, this is like saying I don't have time to sleep or eat. (Okay, so I get that reading isn't strictly necessary for my survival, but it sometimes feels that way!) 
 
Aside from being relaxing, therapeutic and downright enjoyable, reading is a learning experience. It's like William Faulkner said: “Read, read, read. Read everything—trash, classics, good and bad, and see how they do it. Just like a carpenter who works as an apprentice and studies the master. Read!” We can learn something from any book. Now, I often read books by talented authors hoping I might learn something from the way they write.
 
Here are a few of the authors I admire, and a little bit about why I think they're great.
 
Roald Dahl: James and the Giant Peach, The BFG, George's Marvellous Medicine, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches... Roald Dahl was an author who wrote captivating books that stood the test of time. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was published in 1964 and is just as popular today as it ever was.
 
Terry Pratchett: For fantasy with a sense of humour, you can't do better than Terry Pratchett. His Discworld books bring together the ridiculous and the mundane in a very readable way, and I would love my books to entertain readers the way his do.
 
J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter—need I say more? The whole world of Hogwarts and magic and muggles is just amazing, and the little intricacies J.K. Rowling includes in her books are mindblowing. For attention to detail, J.K. Rowling is the author to read.
 
Janet Evanovich: Mixing comedy and crime so well, I love Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. She has a real talent for characterisation, and I think Lula may well be one of my favourite characters from any book *ever*.
 
Khaled Hosseini: Hosseini's books incorporate difficult themes, but they are written in such a way that they draw the reader in. The prose is captivating and beautiful, and he is a truly talented author who I am determined to learn from!
 
Who is your favourite author and why?
 
 
 
Author Spotlight: I am a tea drinker and history geek who lives in south Wales. I love reading, being outdoors, cooking, and stand-up comedy—but I don't like bananas and insects.

I have been writing stories ever since I could hold a pen. I have a degree in Egyptology, and I love writing so much that I even enjoyed my university coursework.
 

Twitter: @_staceymitchell
 
 
Tour Giveaway:



 
 
Tour schedule:
 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig