27 March 2014

The Mighty Storm Review


Because I only started Zili in the Sky a year ago, I haven't written reviews for some of my fav books. Every now and again I'm going to be posting reviews, focusing on some of my fav books I read pre-Zili in the Sky!!




Starting with The Mighty Storm (The Storm #1) by Samantha Towle



What they say: It's been twelve years since Tru Bennett last saw Jake Wethers, her former best friend and boy she once loved.


Jake Wethers, sexy, tattooed and deliciously bad lead singer, and brains behind The Mighty Storm, one of the biggest bands in the world, left Tru with a broken heart when he moved from England to America with his family when they were both fourteen.



Sent to interview Jake for her music column by the magazine she works for, they are both unprepared for the sparks that fly the instant they reconnect. Only, there’s a complication to their instant feelings for one another—Will, Tru’s boyfriend of two years. 

Then Jake makes Tru a job offer she can't refuse—travelling the world with him and his band. But taking the job means leaving Will behind, and being on the road with the band means spending an inordinate amount of time with Jake. 

Is Tru strong enough to resist the delectable bad boy who once held her heart so completely, or will she willingly risk it all for one night with the world's most notorious womaniser?






What I say: I stumbled upon The Mighty Storm by accident not long after it had first been released. It dawned on me after posting a Waiting on Wednesday post for book #3 Taming the Storm, that even though I've read TMS many times I'd never reviewed it. This is me fixing that oversight...  

TMS follows Trudy 'Tru' Bennett as she is propelled headfirst into the rockstar world encompassed by her former neighbour, best friend and love of her life Jake Wethers. Tru and Jake grew up together, but when Jake left England 12 years before the book starts, they lose touch, until Tru's job as a music journalist puts her in direct contact with Jake. Jake is now  a world famous rocker with a boatload of issues!

Tru is one of my fav modern heroines because she's a brilliant contradiction; she's strong and vulnerable. Tru's a self-conscious beauty, feisty yet sweet, sexy but slightly bumbling. She also manages to be really on the ball about some things, yet completely misses Jake's OBVIOUS interest in her!! My only slight bugbear with Tru is her indecision at times and her open denial of what was right in front of her. BUT Jake does make it difficult to forgive him at times and I mostly understood Tru's reactions (in the bedroom scene I probably would have slapped him)!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Jake Wethers!! He's by far my fav rockstar character and he's so well written I often find it difficult to accept he isn't real and The Mighty Storm are not a real band! Jake's beautiful, talented, complicated, infuriating, sexy as hell and an alpha to the max. Jake has a complicated past and has quite the reputation with the ladies. But he's really sweet when it comes to Tru and his love for her. Whenever they argue, in particular after the bedroom scene, his pain was so palpable that every time I read these chapters I ALWAYS cry!!

I think the reason I like TMS so much is because even though it's fiction the characters seem so real, and I don't just mean Tru and Jake. The secondary characters Stuart, Tom and Simone are all really well imagined and realistic!

TMS is the ultimate 'boy next door' and missed opportunities story. I instantly fell for Tru & Jake's story and have been rereading it ever since! There are a lot of rockstar stories out there but there's just something about TMS that draws me in. Whenever I'm in a book slump I go back to Samantha Towle's book & relive all the drama, pain, love and music all over again.


4.5 Stars in my Sky!

My fav non-spoilery quotes:


  • “Yes, well we're all clean as whistles my darling until men like him come along and dirty us right up.”
  • Men want to be him, women want to screw him...most wanting to be the one to tame the untameable Jake Wethers. 
  • Jake once said on stage that Jonny was the mighty in their storm, and now I see that Jake is my mighty storm.
  • "I'm not the other guy, Tru. It doesn't fit with me - who I am. I'm the guy."



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogger Template Created by pipdig